As any cigar smoker knows storing your cigars in a humidor is a must to keep them at their best. If cigars are not properly stored they can dry out and lose their flavor and appeal.
Humidors will maintain the correct temperature and moisture to make sure that your cigars stay in the best condition.
There is a wide choice of humidors available with price ranges to suit everyone. Some people prefer to make their own and one of the things you can use to do this is Tupperware.
Yes that’s right: one of the many uses of Tupperware is to make a Tupperdor. The big questions are why would you want to do this and how do you make a humidor out of Tupperware?
Why make your own humidor?
There are many reasons for making your own humidor, and a lot of people simply enjoy the satisfaction of using items they have created.
- While there are humidors for all budgets, some people still have to look for the most cost-effective method of storing cigars. Making a Tupperdor is an excellent way to store your cigars on a budget.
- Not everyone is able to smoke cigars regularly and so they may only keep a few cigars at a time. This can mean that if they are not properly stored, by the time you get the chance spoke the cigar they may be past their best. A store bought humidor may be costly for the occasional cigar smoker.
- Many cigar smokers have a large collection of cigars and they will not all require the same humidity. In this case it’s best to have more than one humidor so that you can control each type of cigar to make sure it stays in perfect condition.
- You can even use your Tupperware humidor as a temporary place to store your cigars. If you’re seasoning a new humidor, for example or have extra cigars you need to look after, then this is a great way to keep them.
(don't worry, button opens a new tab)
Why use Tupperware?
When you are considering a humidor, it has to be said that Tupperware is not usually the first name that springs to mind. It does, however, have many advantages but as with most things, these should be weighed up with the disadvantages.
Let’s have a look at the pros and cons of using a Tupperdor.
- A Tupperdor is a great solution for anybody on a budget. While you do need to purchase certain items to make it, it will still usually be cheaper than buying a wooden humidor.
- Tupperware is known for its airtight seal, and this is perfect for storing cigars. The Tupperdor will hold more moisture inside so that your cigars won’t suffer any loss of humidity.
- In most cases a humidor made out of Tupperware doesn’t need to be seasoned so you can use it almost straight away.
- Another great advantage of Tupperware is that it is space-saving. This means you can actually have more than one humidor and simply stack them one on top of the other.
- Some Tupperware containers are see-through and if you are storing more than one type of cigar, you can see at a glance what’s inside each one.
- Although your Tupperdor may not need to be seasoned, you may still need to let them stand for a while before you can use them. Most plastics tend to smell when they are new so you need to leave them with the lid off for at least 24 hours until the smell has gone.
- For many cigar smokers the main reason they would not use Tupperware is because it is quite simply very plain to look at. It must be said some wooden humidors are far more pleasing to the eye, but Tupperdors do the job just as well.
- Although Tupperware does have an airtight seal, this can wear over time so they may need to be replaced more often than a wooden humidor.
- When you have your Tupperdor setup it should be kept away from direct sunlight. Unlike other humidors Tupperware will allow light to penetrate through to the inside and this may damage your cigars.
What you will need
While this probably goes without saying, don’t just rush out and buy the first container you find. Before you buy your container, make sure that it is:
- Always check that the seal is airtight or it may not work very well as a humidor.
- BPA free. You also need to check the type of plastic. Ideally purchase a container which is 100% BPA free so that there are no toxins or other substances to damage the cigars.
Again, before you rush out and buy a humidifier, make sure you have the right one. Always check the size of the container it will be going into and try to make sure that it can be used with plastic. Most humidifiers are designed to work with wooden humidors, so as plastic does not breathe in the same way you will need to make sure your humidifier accounts for this.
The next thing you need is your hygrometer.
The main thing to consider before you purchase your hygrometer is how easy it is to see. If you opt for a digital hygrometer the humidity is generally easy to see at a glance and you will get a far more accurate reading.
Your hygrometer will need to be calibrated first and you can do this while your Tupperware is airing.
4. Spanish Cedar
If you want the best Tupperdor, it’s worth getting some Spanish cedar.
There’s a reason Spanish cedar is used in many wooden humidors, and that is because of its absorbent properties. These properties help it to maintain the humidity within the Tupperdor, as it will absorb any excess moisture and if the humidity is too low it will release moisture back into the air.
Due to the size of the container you will only need thin strips or even chips to lay at the bottom. Spanish cedar is also an aromatic wood which can add a certain flavor to your cigars.
How to make a humidor out of Tupperware
Before you start make sure your container is fully aired and cleaned and your hygrometer has been calibrated.
- If your Tupperware container has a tray at the bottom, take this out and then cover the bottom of the container with your Spanish cedar. Replace the tray.
- One advantage of Tupperware is that you can often see through it, and this will help you place your hygrometer. Make sure the face with the readout is facing outwards so that it can be seen inside the container.
- Put your humidifier inside.
- Seal the container.
Your Tupperdor is now ready for you to add your cigars & it should look something like below:
Setting up a humidor made out of Tupperware is surprisingly easy and the cost involved provides you with an excellent place to keep your cigars at the perfect humidity.
As long as you remember to keep your Tupperdor in a place which is not affected by changes in temperature then there is no reason why you cannot keep your cigars for as long as you want, so that you can enjoy them when you have the time.